It is time once again for the Outagamie Forage Council Annual Meeting. The event will be held at Doxbee’s Banquet and Buffet in Seymour on Thursday, February 22, 2018. Registration begins at 9:30 with the program starting promptly at 10:00 a.m. Rob Richard, Senior Director of Governmental Relations, Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation will be our keynote speaker and address the topics listed below and be available to answer questions for those in attendance.
- What is happening with some of the regulatory aspects that were supposed to be transferred to the Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and removed from the Department of Natural Resources (DNR)?
- Farm Inspection Issues – What Should Producers Expect Moving Forward?
- Labor Supply and Availability – What Does the Future Look Like for Those Involved in the Industry?
- What Does the Next Generation of Young Farmers Have to Look Forward to Given the Current State?
- Environmental Concerns for Calf Raising Areas, Feed Pad Runoff, Existing Wells on Farms, etc…
Jamie Patton, Nutrient and Pest Management, Senior Outreach Specialist, UW-Madison, will discuss some of the pH issues that have been observed in alfalfa fields, especially late in the season, where substantial parts of the acreage has exhibited poor growth as a result of extremes in the measured pH levels.
Kevin Jarek, Crops, Soils, and Horticulture Agent will share the latest results from the Low Lignin Alfalfa Plot Research, update Wisconsin Alfalfa Yield and Persistence (WAYP) Project, and share what we now know after three (3) full years of collecting alfalfa seeding rate data from several counties across the state of Wisconsin.
As always, we will take a few minutes to reflect on the year that was, followed by the annual business meeting, recognize a few individuals who have gone above and beyond when it comes to supporting and participating in Forage Council activities/events and then finish with our once a year auction fundraiser which supports all of the Outagamie Forage Council activities throughout the year.
Registration is due by February 19.